homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shots or not?

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: roxann <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shots or not?
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 19:17:34 -0600

What I learned today is that (at least in my state) the state health department keeps the post-bite vaccines on hand but your doctor must write a prescription for them and administers them. They have both already OK'd me as fox bites are high risk here.

It is a virus transmitted by saliva and works on your nervous system. It can take anywhere from a day to a year to travel to your brain. Symptoms start as fatigue, muscle pain, headaches and irritability (which I generally have anyway!) The insurance company sees the health department as a "not-in-network" provider. They told me that it is possible--since there are no other "in-network" providers of the vaccine--that they will cover it as if it were in-network. Even then it will be $500 plus 40%.

As I understand it, as much of the vial will be delivered to my thumb, and the rest in my thigh. There's not much flesh above my nail so I can only imagine how much this is going to hurt. Two shots on the first day, and four more to follow on specific days during the month.

roxann wrote:
Sage,

I'd consider the choice to be kind of like russian roulette. I sure didn't know the shots cost so much, though! It's enough to make anyone pause and consider the consequences. Would your insurance cover putting you into an artificial coma should it turn out that you actually do have rabies going on in there? I have seen an article that it worked for someone somewhere last year. Apparently normal approaches don't work with this virus (or is it a bacterial infection?) ...or why would they have folks go through all the cost and trouble (or is it like the cancer scare treatments)?
This is going to be educational for me as others give advice...I've often
wondered just how much fear mongering is part of the rabies thing, and how
much is actual seriousness of the situation. If it were me, I'd have to go
into debt and get the shots... just because there doesn't seem to be any
reports of 'mild' rabies...it seems to be all or nothing.

Roxann, NW AR
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com (Ozark Musings from the homestead)