homestead - Re: [Homestead] deer hunting

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] deer hunting
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 22:02:35 EST

> >But, would the more modern ones (like the one I described) blow-up? I've

You'd have to work at it, but you could do it. There is a pressure relief
plug in the lid that will blow out if the pressure gets too high. But as Bev
mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised to see a chicken come thought that little
hole if the pressure relief plug blew. You'd just get chicken instead of
shrapnel.

The danger is in filling hte pressure cooker too full so some bit of food
bocks the vent that feeds the 'jiggler'. Then the pressure will build up
until
the cooker blows the valve or the gasket.

They are dangerous no matter how the manufacturer reassures you. It took me
only one scalded hand to learn that when I took the lid off the pressure
cooker to lean the lid AWAY from me so the steam did not waift right up my
arm. It
isn't 212 degrees coming out of the newly opened cooker, it's as hot as 400
degrees and must be treated with a great deal of respect.

James