homestead - Re: [Homestead] deer hunting

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] deer hunting
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 08:02:03 EST

> > You have
> to take a canner up to a particular temp and then get it to stay at a
> precise temp to hold a precise pressure.

Doesn't work that way and that's why I was scratching my head over the notion
of the need for a precisely controled stove for canning.

The canner (or pressure cooker) is regulated by a weight, that thing hat
jiggles when it's up to steam. You get the canner to a boil so that the
steam can
blow through the vent and purge out the air. Then when you add te weight,
it regulates the pressure.

After that all you need is enough heat, not a precise heat. If you have more
heat than is needed to keep the pressure the weight is enforcing, it jiggles
all the more and more steam and pressure escape.

Depending on your altitude the, say, 15 lb weight might maintain 13 or 14 lbs
of pressure and you extend your canning time accordingly. But turning up the
heat will not give you more pressure, it will only make the canner blow more
steam.

I suppose that if you wanted 10 lbs pressure, you could put on a 15 lb weight
and very finely trim the heat to achieve and maintain it. But that's a
fool's errand. It makes much more sense to use a 10 lb weight to begin with.

James