homestead - Re: [Homestead] deer hunting

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] deer hunting
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 18:42:53 EST

> >I wonder if the government has scared us about what happens when
> people to it wrong or if we are smarter to pressure can? I usually
> pressure can also, but I do it on an electric stove. If I was using a
> wood stove, I'd rather use a water bath.

Once I was called everything but a child of God for suggesting that people
use logic and math to determine what was safe rather than blindly following
USDA guidelines.

But as far as meat goes, much of the canning of long ago canned meat in jars
filled with fat. The heat penetrates very well that way. One factor in
pressure canning is that meat is often better pressured whether you are
canning it
or just cooking it. A tough gristly old bit of pork gelatinizes into quite a
goo cut when pressured. Much canned meat is the same way, the quality is
better if it is canned for an hour under pressure rather than hot water
bathed for
many hours.

Curious though, why would you hot water bath on a wood stove rather than
pressure?

James