homestead - Re: [Homestead] deer hunting

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] deer hunting
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 19:18:23 -0500

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:
Curious though, why would you hot water bath on a wood stove rather than
pressure?
If you're asking me, we I know of no pressure use where I grew up until I was probably 11/12 years old. No clue why, I just tried my best to get out of doing it at all. :-)

I'd guess they just hadn't been introduced to pressure cooker/canners yet. They use them now.

I know the first time I heard of one was when a townie friend and I had made out to go to Deer Creek swimming one time, must have been about 12, 13 y/o, and instead had to spend THE WHOLE DAY cleaning in her mother's kitchen, where that morning somehow and entire pressure canner full of beets had exited it's contents all over floor, walls, ceiling, and into every cabinet.....humongous mess and I thought it patently unfair that I had to give up a very hard-won free day......kids.

I think it was things like that that caused them to have a slow acceptance some places.
Once I got the logic of the thing, it all made sense to me, and I'm by nature inclined to treat machinery/gear carefully and keep it in good repair, so have never been afraid of it, although I'm likely as careful with it now as I was in the beginning, try to keep my mind on what I'm doing, and don't work with it when I'm overtired. And the beauty of it is, for me, that I never have a failure with it, so no waste. That alone ranks high in my book.

SJ