homestead - Re: [Homestead] deer hunting

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] deer hunting
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 09:58:15 EST

> >But if the stove is running too hot, the steam can't escape fast enough
> from
> the valve. My pressure cooker also has a pressure gauge, and if it's too
> hot, it can get up to dangerously high pressure, even venting through the
> valve with the right wieght.

Lynn, I'd be concerned that there was something wrong with the pressure
cooker. Unless the vent is plugged, it should be just about impossible on
any
electric or gas stove (or wood stove for that matter) to move the pressure
much
above that regulated by the weight. If one turned the flame full force, I
suppose you could get a few extra pounds. But, on the type of canner where
the
weight sits on the vent (rather than screws down to the vent) the force of
the
steam should lift the weight clean off the vent before you can get much more
than
the pressure the weight regulates.

If the gauge is correct and the vent and weight are operating normally, and
you can manage 25 lbs/sqin pressure, I would be concerned that there is
something dangerously wrong with the cooker.

But remember too, we are talking about 'fine' control, a reason you would
think gas or electricity is needed for safe canning or pressure cooking. It
takes a LOT of heat to get a pressure cooker to exceed the regulated pressure.

James