homestead - Re: [Homestead] deer hunting

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] deer hunting
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 22:32:47 -0500

Ditto Lisa, I meant to thank Lynda, too. I saved the post...

Bev

Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:
On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Lynda <lurine AT com-pair.net> wrote:

The Mirro weighted canner is meant to jiggle/rock about 4 times a minute.
The Presto is meant to have a steady "gentle" rock. If you are getting
more
than that then your heat is too high. If you are canning something such as
meat, then you run every possibility of running your canner dry by using
too
high a heat and having more steam escape than is meant to happen.

If your heat is too high on a Mirro, then the weight jiggles/rocks too
often. If you have too much heat with a Presto, it rocks too fast.

Lynda,

That was very helpful, I'll keep in mind for my next batch of venison to be
done after Christmas. Thanks.

lkvp