homestead - Re: [Homestead] deer hunting

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] deer hunting
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 10:15:26 -0800

Although a weighted canner is more "forgiving" of how you adjust the heat, it isn't meant to just rip away or have as much steam as happens go whistling out.

The Mirro weighted canner is meant to jiggle/rock about 4 times a minute. The Presto is meant to have a steady "gentle" rock. If you are getting more than that then your heat is too high. If you are canning something such as meat, then you run every possibility of running your canner dry by using too high a heat and having more steam escape than is meant to happen.

If your heat is too high on a Mirro, then the weight jiggles/rocks too often. If you have too much heat with a Presto, it rocks too fast.

Yes, the weighted canners are more forgiving but you have trade offs. If you are above sea level, then a gauge is more accurate. With the weights you go from 10 pounds to 15 pounds. No inbetweens.

If I'm canning tomatoes for sauce or what have you, doesn't make any difference. If I'm canning something that I don't want to be mush, then I use the gauge.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>

I think we are talking about two different pressure canners. Mine is a
gauged unit. I have to adjust the heat to maintain the pressure at a
certain level. I think the one you describe is a weighted gauge unit?
That works as you describe. I've never used one, sounds easier.