homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fitness

  • From: Cathy <goosecreekfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fitness
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:25:32 -0500

I noticed something with my children, James. My first son has always been a
big boy--proportioned like a front lineman from infancy. As soon as he
could toddle about, he began what you described--conserving movement. He
seemed to lack the "natural" exuberance of youth. My other two did not
exhibit this trait. My oldest did his share of work moving wood, toting
sacks of feed, etc. (As the oldest, he probably did more than his share.)
His early paid labor was picking rocks and filling trucks (18 wheelers) with
square bales for neighboring farmers. However, the only time he approached
"slim," he did hours and hours of cardio every week and severely limited his
caloric intake. The other two, while certainly not skinny, and certainly
not frenetic, can maintain that level of "slim" with only natural day-to-day
activity.

I don't really have a point with this story, except maybe that the movement
conservation trait is somehow genetic and not necessarily a character flaw.
Maybe some people have to work harder at physical activity as some might at
mental or spiritual activity.

Cathy