homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fitness

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fitness
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:44:17 -0500

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

James you know you can't draw the conclusions you did from those
observations..You don't know whether their behaviors were the
result of medical problems(like hyper/hypothyroidism) or whether
their actions or lack thereof were the result of their weight, not
the cause of their weight.

So I keep hearing, but Bev I've got to level with you and say that
all that "You just don't know what's really going on with these
people ,..." is crap. What I have observed to be consistent, as
reliable as the sun rising, is that people who believe in the "I just
got bad genes" bit are invariably out of shape, overweight, and
deteriorating right before my eyes. People who don't believe it (and
therefore don't act on it) are always the ones who are fit and healthy and able even into extreme old age. The thing is, suppose it
were true (which it almost never is) that a person had some infirmity
or condition as you suggest. What difference does that make? All
the more urgent reason to get up and move and bend, not less.

I am not just making arguments for the slouchers, but also for those
thin women who were constantly in motion, flitting around from one thing
to another, not sitting still for anything. Until you have lived with a
person who is hyperthyroid, you don't see the flip side, and that is the
flip side, that those people burn extra calories not because they won't
sit still, but because they CAN'T sit still...they end up having all
kinds of trouble. My daughter was hyperthyroid as well as my adoptive
mother.

Well, ya pays ya money and ya takes ya chances, so good luck with
Hanz and Franz approach to flexibilty and tone. But I tend to look
around and see if I can find examples of success for any type of
approach I intend to try. Know anyone your age and in your physical
condition who has added significant improvement in strength,
flexibility and tone from what you propose? I don't know any.

I am already more fit than most women my age, because of my lifestyle, I
think. I just want more.

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda