homestead - Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 10:18:06 -0800

Bob, I own a chain saw. Great big sucker (30" bar). So? I theoretically know how to use it but I've never used it. I won't be using it.

And, I was raised around motorcycle racing. I even helped my Dad rebuild motorcycle engines. Doesn't mean I could go out and race a motorcycle.

My parents and grandparents did all kinds of things I was raised around. Doesn't mean I can do them.

And your mention of root cellars (this wasn't a very good save, btw) is an indication that you aren't prepared. Plus, if you picked up a "huge pressure cooker" at an estate sale doesn't mean much. Why would you pick up a "huge" one? Do you know how to use it? Do you know the pressure required for your area? Did you know that you need to have the pressure gauge checked routinely? Do you know you need to replace the seals? Do you know you can't can in a pressure cooker except for a few items at sea level?

You can own all kinds of things and not have more than a clue how to use them and not be able to actually put their use into effect.

We're talking about real experience. You sound like my teenagers. All teenagers think they are bullet proof and that nothing going to happen that they can't take care and gain instant knowledge about. The world and real life get in the way of that attitude and always end up smacking them one up along side the head.

That is the point.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "bob ford" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>

I could have written pantry, storehouse, or smokehouse rather than root cellar. Root cellars were not common where I was raised, but much of our food was grown , harvested and canned. I know something about it because my childhood occurred in a similar lifestyle. I have acquired many of the things that people on this list discuss. Just becuase I don't mention a vita-mix or a huge pressure cooker, etc, doesn't mean I haven't already picked one up at an estate sale , etc. over the years.

What exactly are you saying that I should prepare for ? Being tired and sweaty? Being frustrated when a crop doesn't perform ? I think I can handle all of that Lynn. Imagine if it were just you and an imaginary husband. You didn't have to worry about zoning. Your (imaginary) husband had somewhere else to go, for short or long periods of time if 'he' didn't like the stress. You had no mortgage. You had several years of canned and dried foods, and some , maybe not much, but some, assets left. Would you feel as pressured as you now feel?