homestead - Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 09:59:31 -0500

What exactly are you saying that I should prepare for ? Being tired and sweaty? Being frustrated when a crop doesn't perform ? I think I can handle all of that Lynn. Imagine if it were just you and an imaginary husband. You didn't have to worry about zoning. Your (imaginary) husband had somewhere else to go, for short or long periods of time if 'he' didn't like the stress. You had no mortgage. You had several years of canned and dried foods, and some , maybe not much, but some, assets left. Would you feel as pressured as you now feel?

If your idea of homesteading is opening a can of beans from your big stockpile, I guess that doesn't take much physical labor. That's not my idea of homesteading. But you've been writing about building a house, raising your own food, etc. I mean 'prepare' as in learn the skills before you need them. Can you handle physical work? From things you've written, I got the impression that you were more than a little out of shape. To go from city life to homesteading is a major culture shock if you don't prepare.

Lynn Wigglesworth