homestead - Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 06:09:40 -0800 (PST)

good am lynn. maybe, sure. I am already too unhealthy to be a susteanance
agrarian farmer. But, I don't aspire to that anyway. I don't mind doing
whatever work I personally need to do to eat and live. But, even if I were
25 and fit as I was when I 'was' 25, I would never aspire to a life of
constant toil only for my daily bread.

I want to grow my own food, as much as is possible. It isn't that I believe
, not yet anyway, that I will need to do so to survive; it is an actual
desire. I 'want small livestock; Another desire. At the same time; I have
no problem hiring a man with a tractor or 4 men with shovels to dig me a root
cellear, so that I can store five years worth of cheap store bought canned or
dried foods, 'for survival'. People are talking like it has to be all or
nothing. I don't believe that is the case.

You are a 'farmer', not just a homesteader. I have no illusions of making an
income from a homestead. If there is commerce needed in new community,
perhaps I will be involved. Commerce has always been more about wits than
work. That will never change. But, if I aspired to commerce, I would only
plan to stay below the radar and then return to my city life.

This plan is 'my' plan. I don't fancy myself anything more than a simple
man who wants to live out his years doing what makes him happy. Fotr me that
includes growing and raising much of my own food, while being left alone by
the gov't , consumeristic society; and anyone else whose company does not
please me. It also includes truly dark skies, bugs, wild animals, and less
stress.

I can't be like another person. I can learn from you all, but I can use what
I learn from you to do what is necessary for me. I do not have to provide
for children or leave a legacy. If the right helpful young person came
along; I'd leave them everything when I'm gone; whethet or not they are
related. I love my nephews, but I don't yet 'like'them very much. I made my
own way, they can make theirs.

Thanjs for the warning. But, my lines of thinking 'about me' -- this only
applies to me, is someone along what roxanne has been talking about with her
old neighbor, and maybe her own future. Much simpler and less ambitious.
How is your mood after testerday. I had a miserable day after that coffe
yesterday am. I was still feeling light-headed last pm...............

--- On Tue, 12/9/08, Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com> wrote:
Unless you can hire an army of builders and gardeners, I think your chance of
homesteading is slipping away.