homestead - Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 10:37:25 -0800

Exactly. Canned goods and dry goods do NOT like damp, humid conditions.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>

>Probably your concern is freezing, is it not? Realize that in the Deep
South, where Bob is likely from, winter temps barely get below freezing,
and a cellar, insulated by dirt, would be far warmer than the >outside.

If a root cellar stays warm, I guess there's no point in having one. I
wonder where you would store things like potatoes and winter squash, that
like cool, slightly humid conditions?

Root cellars should never freeze...that ruins winter squash and a lot of
other things. Root cellars here are cool (but above freezing) and fairly
humid; more humid than I would like to store canned or dry foods. I guess
that also isn't a problem where Bob is.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA