homestead - Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 21:28:13 EST

> >Once something happens, it's too late to head for the hills. I've been
> doing
> this for 12 years, and I still have crop failures and lots of things going
> wrong...it's a BIG learning curve.

This is the major point. During Y2K all the collapse-niks proudly catalog
thier K-rations, barrels of water, and most of all sealed up cans of
vegetable
seeds they were going to use to feed themselves (in January no less) in the
wake of the collapse. The attitude was cavalier, "Oh, grow vegetables, I can
do
that! How hard can it be?"

Well, it can be pretty damn hard. Lynn is right. I've been at this just in
this location for twenty years and I've had the hoe and spade and axe in my
hands on a regular basis much longer than that. And I still find the
prospects
of survival precarious.

No one is going to go from sedentary city dweller to subsistence farmer in
one season. If the time comes when it's escape to the farm or perish .... it
will be perish.

James