homestead - Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 11:56:07 -0500

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 11:41 AM, VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Mon, 12/8/08, Lisa K.V. Perry <lisakvperry AT gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I would love to see something as radical as one of the Big
> > 3 auto companies convert their manufacturing plants to making solar
> panels,
> > wind turbines or the like.
>
> I like that idea. Should congress make that a condition of any bailout?
> As far as converting auto plants, wouldn't that be more expensive that
> starting over?
> Having said that I think there is a mentality in our business/construction
> world that assumes it is always cheaper to tear down and start over. That
> causes us to waste a lot of our built environment and results in the loss of
> a lot of interesting structures.

I don't have answers, but we're at a point where we have to make hard
choices and switch gears to prepare for the future. Doing the same old thing
brought us the problems we now have.

> > It bothers me to think of how much money is being thrown at
> > everything to try to maintain life as it was yesterday or as it is today.
> > I personally would love to prepare more for tomorrow.
>
> Is part of that thinking based on the idea that growth, as in always
> expanding your business, is always good?

70% of our entire economy is based on consumption. To grow the economy in
the current economic model, we have to keep making and buying stuff. When we
collectively said 'enough', because we're too deep in debt, it fell apart.

We need manufacturing jobs and useful, necessary products. My personal view
is that more cars aren't the answer, not unless they are drastically changed
with a design to meet needs in the future. If we produce something else,
solar panels and wind turbines, that can help with the energy problem that
would be a plus. It would lower the cost of those items making those options
more affordable and popular while putting a dent in the energy problem.

Maybe the government gives us a few solar panels and a bag of seeds instead
of another stimulus check.

lkvp