homestead - Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 08:41:24 -0800 (PST)

--- On Mon, 12/8/08, Lisa K.V. Perry <lisakvperry AT gmail.com> wrote:

> I would love to see something as radical as one of the Big
> 3 auto companies
> convert their manufacturing plants to making solar panels,
> wind turbines or
> the like.

I like that idea. Should congress make that a condition of any bailout?
As far as converting auto plants, wouldn't that be more expensive that
starting over?
Having said that I think there is a mentality in our business/construction
world that assumes it is always cheaper to tear down and start over. That
causes us to waste a lot of our built environment and results in the loss of
a lot of interesting structures.

> It bothers me to think of how much money is being thrown at
> everything to
> try to maintain life as it was yesterday or as it is today.
> I personally
> would love to prepare more for tomorrow.
>
> lkvp

Methinks the business and economic world puts way too much focus on the short
term vs. long term results.
Is part of that thinking based on the idea that growth, as in always
expanding your business, is always good?