homestead - Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 09:24:58 -0700

That's the problen I have with Obama's make-work plan (as you and
other have pointed out). Infrastructure is great, but if you can't sell it,
it doesn't bring in any money to pay the workers.

Degrade it as make-work if you will, the highway system is productive; it brings in much money through fuel taxes. Those eighteen-wheelers moving groceries from California to Pennsylvania pay serious and disproportionate contributions to the upkeep of highways that we all use. If those highways deteriorate that income decreases and those groceries on Pennsylvania supermarket shelves become more expensive.

Another infrastructure plan addresses school and other government buildings' upgrades to make them more energy efficient. As Amory Lovins has long since proved, energy conservation is worth more than new energy production.