homestead - Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 11:28:25 -0500

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 11:24 AM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> > That's the problen I have with Obama's make-work plan (as you and
> > other have pointed out). Infrastructure is great, but if you can't
> > sell it,
> > it doesn't bring in any money to pay the workers.
>
> Degrade it as make-work if you will, the highway system is productive;
> it brings in much money through fuel taxes. Those eighteen-wheelers
> moving groceries from California to Pennsylvania pay serious and
> disproportionate contributions to the upkeep of highways that we all
> use. If those highways deteriorate that income decreases and those
> groceries on Pennsylvania supermarket shelves become more expensive.
>
> Another infrastructure plan addresses school and other government
> buildings' upgrades to make them more energy efficient. As Amory
> Lovins has long since proved, energy conservation is worth more than
> new energy production.

I was in the middle of responding when your post came in.

I would love to see something as radical as one of the Big 3 auto companies
convert their manufacturing plants to making solar panels, wind turbines or
the like.

It bothers me to think of how much money is being thrown at everything to
try to maintain life as it was yesterday or as it is today. I personally
would love to prepare more for tomorrow.

lkvp