homestead - Re: [Homestead] Who attacked whom? (was: It's almost over)

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Lynda <lurine AT softcom.net>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Who attacked whom? (was: It's almost over)
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 03:25:21 -0800 (PST)

Lynda, , it isn't that I don't believe the gov't is capable in moral terms,
gov'ts have no scruples. And, the 'people' in our gov't have certainly
proved themselved to be unethical to the point that I would have no problems
believing you if not for two reasons -- ability and motivation.

The numbers of Indians , by the 1960s were too few to be much of a threat.
What would be the motivation ? Ability, how? If the gov't had the ability
to "perform" eugenics, other than thru abortion, which technology back then
did not allow a clear look at the fetus; then why was it not used on other
subsets of society ?

That is what I meant by "unbelieveable". I don't find it believeable that we
had the 'know-how ; or that, even if we did, that our gov't motivations
would havem put Indians first in line .

You have to have the physical body , for a period of time, to do a surgical
sterilization. It would have been slower and more expensive back then. The
time and money required would have been too great and there should have been
much documentation, even if done surreptiously by people involved and later
released against the wishes of the gov't.

I was surprised to read about the higher birth rates of Indian women. But,
they didn't mention infant mortality rates among those same women?
I'm not a moralist, I but can empathize with your personal feelings about
what happended to your people. As I said before, the reason that I believe
in the Indian fight against the gov't , as opposed to other groups, has
nothing to do with morals. We have a Constitution that demands that we abide
by our treaties. The gov't made treaties with Indians. To me, the
Constitution has to be obeyed.