homestead - Re: [Homestead] Who attacked whom? (was: It's almost over)

  • From: Cathy <goosecreekfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Who attacked whom? (was: It's almost over)
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 19:49:36 -0500

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 6:38 PM, Lynda <lurine AT softcom.net> wrote:

Just one person to lift an eyebrow
the next time someone says "yeah, I'm part Indian, my great-grandmother was
a Cherokee princess." (ah, that means a hang-around-the-fort woman, aka. a
ho)
Funny you mention this, Lynda. I was just thinking about that phrase while
reading your other posts. I've often joked that everyone in the South has a
great-grandmother who was a Cherokee princess, to hear them tell it,
anyway. I had no idea of any negative connotation to the phrase, though.

If I am to believe my living ancestors, the intermarrying on both sides of
my (Mississippi) family occurred at my great-great level. No princesses;
they were men. For all I know these "red Indians" (my grandparents' term)
were themselves of mixed descent and from who knows which side of the
sheets. As I've said before, as far as I can tell, my family have been poor
dirt farmers (hardworking and honorable) living among other poor families
since they came from poverty in Great Britain. No exotic tales. I guess
that makes me pretty white.

Cathy