homestead - Re: [Homestead] was It's almost over, now wending to Amish response to aggression

  • From: Cathy <goosecreekfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was It's almost over, now wending to Amish response to aggression
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 20:57:04 -0500

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 8:14 PM, sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net> wrote:

> The group discussed on that site is a notch 'up' from the group south of
> Dayton, VA, which is itself 2 notches 'up' from the group I grew up in,
> which was very conservative. Not worth it to the incomer to try and
> keep track of groups, too many.

Homeschooling, we used some materials made available by a conservative group
of Amish/Mennonites, don't know which one. I liked the family- and
farm-based subject matter and lack of overt doctrine in the readers. The
fact that Anabaptist doctrine insists on adult 'conversion' and baptism
means there's no evangelization of children. The math worktexts were
delightful, apparently public school texts from the 40s. Money, banking,
sewing, canning, harvesting, building...my kids learned a lot more practical
math than their peers. The reader series is called Pathway. No pictures of
children in the books; even the pictures of dolls had no faces. We stayed
with the series through the seventh grade equivalent. After that, the
content became much more specifically about Anabaptist history via Martyr's
Mirror and stories of persevering through pacifism. (I read and respected
them, but did not assign them to my kiddos.) We also subscribed to some
periodicals--Young People's something or other and another one for women,
can't remember the name but I enjoyed reading it. I am grateful to the
plain people for their influence on me and my family.

I was always befuddled by all the groups. I'm trying to remember the name
of a particularly conservative bunch, starts with S, has twchg in it... <g>
I just ran across this chart, and it made me smile
http://www.beachyam.org/amishmennonites.htm

Cathy