homestead - Re: [Homestead] was It's almost over, now wending to Amish response to aggression

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was It's almost over, now wending to Amish response to aggression
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 22:17:01 -0500

Cathy wrote:
I guess my point is that I don't think the Amish (or likely Buddhist
monks) are a representative sample of humankind. What do you think?
Cathy--

Speaking for myself, I don't see them as representative of mankind at large, no: only of one segment (or maybe that should be segmented segment? :) ) of mankind.

But the statement to which I responded was "We are a warring species, plain and simple.". (I just went and looked to be sure I got it right) My beef with that is that while I could readily be persuaded (actually wouldn't even have to be persuaded) that we have a propensity, or easy capability, or "bent to", or any of another things it doesn't seem to me that if the entire species could be considered a "warring" species because there have been too many historic examples of folks who found life quite livable without warring, and used the Anabaptists, especially the Mennonite lines, as an example of a people well able to maintain themselves for a very long time without warring. It was simply the most familiar example I could think of, albeit not so familiar to some, at least they are a modern-day group living largely in the world we live in, so at least some of the same stresses, whatnot, apply.
Now, if the statement had been that we are a violent species, I might well be able to agree on that (have to think on it but not tonight and not the subject at hand anyway; it would depend partly on the definition used of violence). In the end, it doesn't sound like Bev really meant it to be as written, anyway (correct me if I'm wrong, Bev), so it was just a matter of getting straight what we mean. You'll have to go back through the old posts to get all that if you missed it on it's way by....

SJ