homestead - Re: [Homestead] Give up the dream? My dilemma

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: roxann <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Give up the dream? My dilemma
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 04:19:45 -0800 (PST)

Roxann, becuase it sounds like your husband is a good man with a different
dream , that is the way I'm going to approach my reply. If you have a 22
year old son, you are older than I had, before, thought. I'm guessing that
you are around 40, give or take. Your photo makes you look younger than
that, but, because of the age of your son, I'll use 40 as a reference.

If you are 40, you have probably 25 - 30 years of good, productive life,
before you start to become sick or stiff or sore doing outdoor and homestead
things, the way you now enjoy. How do you want to spend that time? As
cliche as it is , we really do only live once. And, 25 years will go be
faster than you can imagine.

I've been reading both of your blogs for some time now (the musings and the
ginseng blog). You seem genuinely happy where you are doing what you are
doing. That says a lot.

Your children apparently are old enough to make their own decisions, but
young enough that those decisions can change again, and again.

You are not like me, or you wouldn't already be on your own homestaed. I've
been thinking and talking on this list, and have already bought land,-- all
for years. But, time marches and something always seems to block my way.
You are already there; and happy. You would be going backwards.

But remeber that talk is easy. I haven't yet done what you and yours have
already done. It is 5:00 am and I'm waiting for daylight to go to my
backyard and check my city garden plot.

You did ask what kind of person does this make you. It makes you a
thoughtful person, willing to entertain the effects of your decisions on
veryone. That's enough. None are small children, you can't live their lives
for them, anyway.

Lynn and some other men or women who have done , alone, what you are thinking
about doing , alone, would give better practical advice. My advice is simply
that I think those for who you care will be happiest, when you are
happiest...........bobford