homestead - [Homestead] Homesteading sans spouse

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Homesteading sans spouse
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:59:15 -0700

On Nov 17, 2008, at 9:37 AM, Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:

There's a lot to be said for younger men. Where I live has a surplus of
women, particularly in my age group. My having a farm might be attractive to
some younger men, but I have no intention of ever marrying or otherwise
letting anyone get their hands on ownership of it. Maybe I need to settle
for just a ranch-hand...do some work around here in return for room and
board.

Lots of women, with and without spouses, have supplemented home labor forces with extra help. Some get it for room and board. Some do schools. Carla Emery did something called the School for Country Living or something like that. Many people get what might be called slave labor by doing workshops, which means "letting" outsiders learn by doing. There are many young urbanites who want to learn organic gardening and animal husbandry and other rural skills. Find a connection.