homestead - Re: [Homestead] SE PA going to identifiable non-cash smartcardsfortransportation

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] SE PA going to identifiable non-cash smartcardsfortransportation
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:10:10 -0500

My point is not about you. My point is that if the best educated among us (people like you) aren't doing anything; who will?. When you were young, didn't you ever protest, write letters, teach other people about >causes with which you find worthy?

I did, and still do. I've always been a writer of protest letters. My Congress people are sick of hearing from me, and pretty much ignore me anyway. I belong to lots of groups, mostly farming and environmental (I can't afford to give money, beyond basic membership), and always forward the 'protest' letters they write to my representatives...I protest bans of raw milk sales, GMO seeds, NAIS, protest for consumer label laws, etc..

Locally I've advocated for local foods (started a local food group, managed a Farmers' Market, and did a workshop on starting a garden). I vote for candidates who claim they will protect my rights (not Dem or Repub). I buck or evade the system every chance I get (legally, of course). I DO seem to be in a minority, though.

I try not to support anything I don't like...it's the best form of protest. I don't have money in the financial systems (don't trust them, and HATE the huge CEO bonuses), I don't make enough to pay taxes (I don't approve of how tax money is spent), I don't go to doctors (don't approve of most western medicine), refuse to fly (because of the Draconian TSA), raise much of my own food (don't like eating pesticides, growth hormones, etc), do most of my shopping at Goodwill (I love the idea of reusing things....if I can't get it on the $.25 rack, I don't need it), I try to support local businesses when I can. I try to live simply, support the causes I believe in, and try NOT to participate in things I don't believe in. I don't know what else one person can do.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA