homestead - Re: [Homestead] Farm Animals was SE PA going to identifiablenon-cashsmartcardsfortransportation

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Farm Animals was SE PA going to identifiablenon-cashsmartcardsfortransportation
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:13:42 -0500

The cow would have to have had a calf to be in milk, although your father might have bought just the cow and not the calf, or gotten rid of the calf right away (traditionally on dairy farms, bull calves are sold as newborns, and females are raised away from the mother). I've never had goats, but I know that their lactation isn't as long as a cow's. Some cows can go on and on with milk for over a year, but will dry up if they aren't milked or nursed regularly. I'm sure someone (Lynda? Bev? James?) can answer better about goats.

Lynn Wigglesworth

----- Original Message ----- From: "bob ford" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>