homestead - [Homestead] Wild water

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Wild water
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 13:15:13 -0700

On Nov 5, 2008, at 12:50 PM, bob ford wrote:

Don, one time I was hunting along the stream bed of a wooded area of a farmer's land. I drank from thwe beautiful clear water of the stream.. 'Walked up aways , bloated dead cow in stream, possum crawled out of its butt ..

And you appear to have not died. At least not all of you.

All surface water is rife with bacteria. As even with the water you now drink, no matter city water or bottled, the key to health safety is the percentage of bacteria and your state of health when you drink it. The water in Hurricane Creek has bacteria "too numerous to count." Beavers had populated the upper reaches, so the water is also full of giardia.

Btw, for others in a similar good circumstances, which is to say with abundant surface water, I learned this summer of an apparently sure cure for giardiasis--our old friend, garlic. Raw garlic. Mince two or three cloves, put it into a glass, add water, swish it around, drink it. Do this on an empty stomach and two or three hours before your next meal. Repeat daily until symptoms disappear. One dose does it for me.

Think of the pioneers, traveling a few miles each day, stopping to camp when possible by a spring or a stream, replenishing their supplies. 'Course we don't know how many died along the way.