homestead - Re: [Homestead] Home brew book

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Home brew book
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 15:06:27 -0500

> Don, one time I was hunting along the stream bed of a wooded area of a
> farmer's land. I drank from thwe beautiful clear water of the stream..
> 'Walked up aways , bloated dead cow in stream, possum crawled out of its
> butt ......

Always a concern.

I grew up drinking water out of the farm pond located above the house. Cows
used it as well, pissing and craping all the while. My brother and I spent
many hours swimming in that pond.

As for Heartwood, we used distilled water for drinking but everything else
was water right out of the creek. One of the things I am looking for is a
UV filtration system. That is not necessary for brewing as the water is
boiled anyway so all that would be needed is a fine filter.

Stone Brewing has a very expensive RO system for their water then put back
in some minerals.

Don Bowen KI6DIU