homestead - Re: [Homestead] Gene, Sell me on Obama, please

  • From: rayzentz AT aim.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Gene, Sell me on Obama, please
  • Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 16:57:06 -0500

Sage, I sincerely hope that you and Gene are right, and that your "guts" have
more intelligence than my intellect. I fear, however, that they do not.

It has been my experience, and part of my education (PS, I know ;-)), that
those who make choices based on their "guts" ( I translate this as emotions)
almost always suffer in the end. There are very few exceptions to this, in my
experience.

I guess we will wait and see.?In the meantime, I am preparing for the loss of
constitutional freedoms on a grand scale, which will be far worse than
anything that has happened under Bush. I am already seeing huge abuses
regarding the right to speech. I really fear for my children with what I see
coming.

Let me pass this on to you.?? A friend sent this to me. Since there are no
attachments, I include the text here...

"It's all about the Ice Cream"

The most eye-opening civics lesson I ever had was while teaching third
grade in 2000. The presidential election was heating up and some of
the children showed an interest. I decided we would have an election
for a class president. We would choose our nominees. They would make
a campaign speech and the class would vote.

To simplify the process, candidates were nominated by other
class members. We discussed what kinds of characteristics these
students should have. We got many nominations and from those, Jamie
and Olivia were picked to run for the top spot.

The class had done a great job in their selections. Both candidates were good
kids. I thought Jamie might have an advantage
because he got lots of parental support. I had never seen Olivia's
mother. The day arrived when they were to make their speeches and?
Jamie went first. He had specific ideas about how to make our class a
better place. He ended by promising to do his very best.?
Everyone applauded. He sat down and Olivia came to the podium.?

Her speech was concise.

She said, "If you will vote for me, I will give you ice cream

She sat down. The class went wild. "Yes! Yes! We want ice cream."

She surely could say more. She did not have to.?A discussion followed. How
did she plan to pay for the ice cream??She wasn't sure. Would her parents buy
it or would the class pay for it? She didn't know. The class really didn't
care. All they were thinking about?was ice cream. Jamie was forgotten. Olivia
won by a landslide.

Every time Barack Obama opens his mouth he offers ice cream, and?
fifty percent of America reacts like nine-year olds. They want ice cream.

The other fifty percent know they're going to have to feed the cow.

Ray