homestead - Re: [Homestead] rural friends was: Lloyd Kahn's latest

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] rural friends was: Lloyd Kahn's latest
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 20:49:12 -0400

> Bev, I think you are not understanding just how rural I want to be. I
> used Zanoni as an example becuase it is quite a drive to gainsville, which
> is very small itself.

>From Heartwood to Gainesville is 18 miles of a very twisty hilly road as it
climbs up along the ridge. Other slightly larger towns are over 30 miles
away, Ava, West Plains, and Mountain Home, AR.

Gainesville has a grocery store, lumber yard, two gas stations, two auto
parts houses, a bank, and several other small businesses. There is a not
very good Mexican restaurant. I attended the auctions of the hardware store
that had been in business for many years but forced to close due to the
owners bankruptcy over medical bills.

We had a regular schedule to once a week trips to town for necessities. One
week in Gainesville and the next in one of the larger towns. There were
enough extra trips, to get backhoe parts fixed or dealing with the
complexities of finding and paying cash for a tractor.

Don Bowen KI6DIU