homestead - Re: [Homestead] He thinks he's country; she sounds city

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] He thinks he's country; she sounds city
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 19:27:27 -0800

That's a tad peculiar. No one in our town has a street address. You GET a post office box *free* because no one has street addresses and the post office doesn't deliver mail. My driver's license has a P.O. Box on it and in the info section that is in the DMV files is "2.5 miles off Hwy 3." The loan on our property simply required a whatever the heck is on a plot map. Our credit cards and bank have our P.O. Box.

In fact, to get a phone out here, we had to find the box the phone company uses and each box has its own number and that is how they provide you with service.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

I looked some more and can't find it. It is possible I got it
someplace else.

The couple bought some Colorado land accessed only by an unmarked,
unnamed road that ran through government land. They tried to get a
post office box but could not because of a law that requires a
physical address and the county had no address for the property. They
could not register to vote. There were other things. You will not be
able to have checking account, credit cards, car registration and
other things without a legal address. As I recall, they finally in
desperation got a friend to let them use the friend's house as their
legal address.

Has it occurred to you that anyone living in seclusion would
eventually and inevitably attract interest? I think it would cause
more attention than simply living a low-profile life.

If you want maximal seclusion but still be low-profile, you could buy
a place with seriously difficult access and build your house at the
end of that long, rough road.

We get very few unwanted visitors at Heartwood, usually only tourists
who are lost. They never come up to the house, just turn around and
leave. This summer a guy drove up to the house. He lives on the other
side of the river, had heard about me and I had heard about him. He
had passed my road entrance many times visiting a neighbor a few miles
further down the ridge road. A friend was visiting him, and the guy
was showing him the area and finally drove down my steep road into the
bottom of the hollow to check me out. We had good conversation and
exchanged promises to get together after Chris and I get there next
year.