homestead - Re: [Homestead] Music was Newsweek -- "A one point race" ?

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Music was Newsweek -- "A one point race" ?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 14:25:15 -0400

Yes, I know I will never be as good as I could have been had I never smoked, and I doubt my voice will ever come back to where I could sing in public without shame. Actually, I love to sing so much that just regaining some of my ability was motivating to quit smoking, more than than fear of cancer. I've always thought I'd like to write songs...just the lyrics....I would never attempt to write the music.

rayzentz AT aim.com wrote:
I spend quite a bit of time with my students, explaining the whys and
wherefores of how smoking and drug use affect the voice. They've
all heard of the other effects, but nobody ever talks about vocal
health.

Depending on how long you have smoked, your voice may never get back
to where it could have been. It will improve, nore and more as time
goes by, but some damage is usually permanent,

Sopranos are a dime a dozen. Good altos are rare. Be an alto.

Ray

-----Original Message----- From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org Sent: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 11:51 am Subject: Re: [Homestead] Music was Newsweek -- "A one point race" ?

Wow, that is cool, Ray. That tells me that you really are a musical enius. I've always loved music. When I was a kid, I won talent
shows or singing, but smoking ruined my voice as an adult.
Amazingly, it is oming back now 10 months post cigarettes, but I am
still in the alto ange. When I was a kid, I wanted to learn piano
and organ and guitar. My parents(adopted) would never go for that
because I was typically ADD nd they were afraid to invest. They did
however, invest in a piano for y stepsister and when she lived with
us in the summertime, she would each me to read music and how to play
simple things like Heart and oul. My friend Belinda taught me guitar
chords. When I found my irthfamily, I learned why I always felt
drawn to music...my birthfather as a drummer, and my birthmother
played the violin, the piano, and the uitar. My sister plays guitar,
my brother, guitar, organ, and drums. am the only one, in my
birthfamily and adopted family, who does not lay an instrument. bought a cheap guitar about 8 years ago, but then RA took out the exterity in my hands. I also now have a very nice Yamaha keyboard,
and do piddle around with that some, but for the most part, I feel
like 've missed my window of opportunity on learning an instrument
for real, nd so my true enjoyment is with song. Bev, now listening
to/singing Si Te Vas, (If you Go) with Jon Secada rayzentz AT aim.com
wrote: There are some days when I really hate my music training.?? I
cannot listen to music while working at anything that requires
thought.?? It distracts me WAY too much.?? I find myself analyzing
the music, which totally engages my mind, and totally distracts me
from everything else that requires focus.?? Mindless work is OK, like
oh, cleaning the garage, mowing the lawn, etc.

So, instead, I listen to talk radio...?? <BG>