homestead - Re: [Homestead] was Powell endorsement--Palin

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was Powell endorsement--Palin
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 13:07:51 -0400

rayzentz AT aim.com wrote:
I find double standards most irritating.?? Bill and Hilary with Chelsea.?? George with Jenna and Barbara, Barry with Malia Ann and Natasha.?? I don't hear you griping about Obama dragging his children from pillar to post.??
What's the real problem, 'cause I certainly don't believe you on this one.
You are, of course, not required either to believe me, or to agree with me. I didn't ask you to, and as far as I know, no one else is asking you to, either.
Whatever, I wonder, gives you the idea that I am holding a double standard, assuming that's what you mean by the above statement? Whatever, indeed, causes you to believe that I think any of the above-named persons are parenting their children well, or not well? I don't believe I've ever indicated anything about my opinions in that regard. Since I've not given any opinion about the parenting abilities of the Clinton, Bush, or Obama families, you seem to be leaping to conclusions based on your own belief about my opinions.

Opinions and beliefs are individually-held. They, while important in many instances, are not necessarily even correct. But you can't dictate mine any more than I can, or would wish to, dictate yours, Ray. Whether or not you believe me doesn't even matter: they are opinions. You could try to change my opinion, but whatever one's opinion is, it is. Undoubtedly you hold opinions I'd not agree with, but they are your opinions, part and parcel of Ray, and there's nothing I could do about that if I wanted.

My comments about Palin were confined to her behavior in this instance because she was the subject at hand, and I stand by them. They are, of course, my comments, based on my own experience/background/beliefs. You don't need to go along for the ride; I presume you to have your own wheels.

It occurs to me that a lot of people seem think this coming election is going to have more impact than I think it will have. Or maybe it's something else at work, but at any rate this whole topic seems to have people pitting themselves against each other over it. For the record, it's hard to hurt my feelings, and I hope others don't get theirs hurt, either. We're all, thank heavens, individuals entitled to our own ideas, free to come and go as we wish from this list, so hopefully this current tendency to 'categorize' one another into them/us piles will wane. Lumping folks into groups usually gets us nowhere, in my experience---simply delineates division lines, which isn't usually very useful for learning to get along with each other. Like minds are easy, comforting, but unlike ideas spark new thinking, alternative ways.....there is much value in both, IMHO.

Susan Jane, in Maine