homestead - Re: [Homestead] Plant life ethics --for real

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Plant life ethics --for real
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 11:42:44 -0400

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
I don't know about Mormons, but don't many Christian sects believe that humans have dominion over the earth? That we are in charge and everything else is here for our benefit? To make plants closer to humans probably wouldn't sit well with that philosophy.

As I watched a hummingbird the other day, I was thinking about things fast and slow...In our speed, in this dimension of space and time, hummingbirds move fast and plants move slowly. It could be very different in another dimension, and the only way I can think about such things is to think about an elapsed time view of how a forest changes, for example. If, by building a house in the forest, are we stomping on it's toes, making it move further away? Or will it surround us and incorporate us like a huge phagocytic cell?
Dominion?? Well, I think that comes from Genesis where man was created last to apparently watch over and tend the Garden of Eden. However, I think that is just one way that Judeochristians have misinterpreted what was written or intended, because to tend, to care for, to cultivate something doesn't mean that you have absolute power over it, in fact, many times, it is something greater than yourself.

Bev

--
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" Ronald Reagan