homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Dog

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Dog
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 07:37:59 -0500

My daughter has two Rottweilers and loves them.

But there is a caution on Rottweilers: these are powerful dogs that can be dangerous to people and other pets. In the last year I have heard of incidents that cause me to say that I would never get such dogs except as puppies. Both incidents were dogs obtained as adults. The results were ugly. In both cases the owners had to put them down.

I've gotten dogs as adults and pups. Pups are the way to go. I have empathy for dogs in pounds and shelters and newspaper ads where the owners want to give them away. But I will only bring a pup into our family.

With an adult dog you never know for sure what bad habits or temperament traits they possess.