homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Dog

  • From: rayzentz AT aim.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Dog
  • Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 01:54:41 -0400

I haven't heard this mentioned. I have owned Rottweilers. Well, trained, in my opinion, nothing better. When living in MT, our first Rott, Loki, was an outside dog. We lived on a reservation (blackfoot), on the outskirts of town, and had a problem with small items, kids toys, trikes, etc, disappearing. That ended with Loki. She would only bark a couple times if people were on foot near our yard. If they left the area, that was all, but she would watch them until out of sight. Her house was around the back. If a car pulled up, she would get up out of her house, and walk around the corner of the house, and sit, watching. If someone got out, she would bark twice, to let us know. Usually, unless the party knew her, they got back in their car, and honked. If they came to the door, she would stand, and watch them, until we said it was Ok. Then she would sit again, but still watch.

She loved to play with little kids. My wife did Day-care, and the little kids would ride her, wrestle with her, and she would drag them all over the yard, if they wanted. She owned them all. and took care of them all.

I might add, by 14 months old, she weighed over 150 lbs. Big Dog.

Still miss her.

Ray