homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Dog

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Dog
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 11:25:40 -0700 (PDT)

One of my brothers has a (approx. 100 lb) Pit bull, that, though old, still
acts like a loveable puppy. My brother says it is the worst watch dog ,
ever.
I have seen it jump in my brother's lap in the Lazboy, not realizing its size.

That being said I do not have the personality to handle a large pit bull, or
a rottie,, or even a doberman. A german shephard will protect --even bite;
but still easy enough for the average person that hasn't practiced training
large dogs to handle. And I am not a small man.

If someone wants a working dog that will also be protective and that someone
has never had a big, potentially agressive, dog. I wouldn't start with a
rottie. Dogs live a very long time, and deserve owners who can
handle their both their strengths and and their weaknesses (liabilities)
...bobford