homestead - [Homestead] Short-term versus long-term

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Short-term versus long-term
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 07:51:53 -0500

In the midst of today's angst about the economy, both international, national and personal, it is important to act short-term but to plan long-term.

Short-term, we must deal with erratic income, expenses and investments. Long-term, we must plan and act for important personal and family choices, from education to retirement.

Today, real estate and stock market investments smell like hog manure. Long-term, they still make sense for most people. If for no other reason, they tend to keep up with inflation.

So don't be blindsided by those who emphasize the obvious negatives. Plan long-term.

I don't see that much has changed for those of us with a homesteader mentality. Long-term planning includes getting a piece of good and secure land with low taxes and acquiring skills and tools, learning to be happy with the less-expensive things in life.