homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Dog

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Dog
  • Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 23:35:03 -0400

I sent Rob a personal email, but I totally agree with Lynda's comments. I've had all kinds of herders, and presently have an Aussie in the House. Bear turns into Cujo when anyone other than Ron or I approach. He would give his life to protect me, I'm sure of it. He's the best and smartest dog I've ever had.

Bev

Lynda wrote:
Generally speaking, a BC makes a good alarm but is less likely to "guard."
An Aussie (Australian Shepherd) is more likely to "own" your house, and thus
guard it. A Heeler (Australian Cattle Dog) WILL guard your house. Of
course, there are exceptions in each breed.

A "socialized" Aussie will easily revert to type. They have a strong sense of possession. If they are "your" dog, then what is your's is theirs and they'll guard it.

"What Luck for Rulers that Men do not Think" Adolf Hitler
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net