homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Dog

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Dog
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 21:12:33 -0500

What dog is best for what you want depends, of course, on the dog. I
have two border collies and they are great at letting me know that
something is out of place, whether it's a visitor or a deer standing
in the front yard. I'm not sure what they do when I'm not here. Most
of their barking is, I'm sure, along the lines of "Mom, get out here.
We got trouble."

German shepherds tend to be protective of their people and the stuff
they know their people value. So do retrievers. Well, actually, so do
any dogs that bond with their people. I'd say get a dog that you like
and get that dog to like you. Bigger is better for deterence concerns.
My sister has three big black dogs (all of mixed heritage but they
look like mongrel Labs though none have Lab in their background), and
they keep almost all people in the car.

Marie