homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Dog

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Dog
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 19:23:25 -0800

Generally speaking, a BC makes a good alarm but is less likely to "guard."
An Aussie (Australian Shepherd) is more likely to "own" your house, and thus
guard it. A Heeler (Australian Cattle Dog) WILL guard your house. Of
course, there are exceptions in each breed.

A "socialized" Aussie will easily revert to type. They have a strong sense of possession. If they are "your" dog, then what is your's is theirs and they'll guard it.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>

Your lab sounds like my beagle. She only keeps the rabbits and deer
away. There was an australian shepherd up for adoption at a prison I
work at, they train them for socialization. I'm afraid that might be a
problem though, if it's been trained to be a good city dog and get
along with anyone it comes across. i kind of like the idea of a
herding dog, if it would meet people in the driveway and keep an eye
on that area when I'm not here.

Rob