homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Dog

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Dog
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 22:24:39 -0400

> My point is to carefully consider what it is you wish a dog to do.
> Seems to me about all any dog can do regarding security is to warn you
> that someone is coming.
>
> Guinea fowl do that very well and they eat ticks and have lower vet
> bills.

Good point, well taken. I do not want a junkyard dog or anything that
is aggressive. Like Marie wrote, just a warning that something is out
there. Also, so that people that some to visit know they are going to
be announce.

I've got guineas and other than the bug control, they are a nuisance.
I've been making dog food and stew meat out of them. The numbers are
too high for over wintering.

Rob - Va