homestead - Re: [Homestead] Wrong admission

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Wrong admission
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 20:59:06 -0700 (PDT)

James, you know that I respect your opinion; and over the years I have
learned a number of things from you.  Perhaps, as you say, "our views of the
world just don't coincide".  It's not that I don't think you are better
positioned to not lose as much as people like me and my acquaintances during
the ( potential) coming hard times.  I just don't understand why you think
hardworking frugal people are to blame for their losses, and why you  think
that people who have always played the easy games in society will be made to
suffer.

I appreciate the time you have taken and I'm just going to make a couple of
notes, and move on to a different train of thought (hopefully)

You say  "Those people who have "earned" a living shuffling piles of paper
about aren't going to expatriate to Europe for a couple of years".    Why not?
When I first wrote what I heard from friends/acquaintances, I was not just
guessing.  People are starting to discuss their plans.  This am., a 'paper
shuffler", (hospital -was RN, before admin.position) friend said that she had
already talked to her family in Tel Aviv (I know thats Asia , not Europe).
She still has money in the market but has recently beeen converting into gold
and has had an Israeli bank account for many years.

Another fellow yesterday said that he was thinking of taking his entire
family to Spain, to a place he and family had vacationed several times, but
also has a Cabin in Northern New Mexico in case that doesn't work.  If money
is all going to disappear, does that mean only people who have shut
themselves off completely from society will handle the changes properly.
When in human history has that occurred?

Most people that I know who are still well off financially, even with debt;
are only converting 10% liquid to gold, with varying percentages in cash.
I'm still in the market and you are scaring the hell out of me.    There is
an old saw "buy when there is blood in the street, even if its your own
blood".  Should I sell now at historic lows?  I just don't see people that I
know well, and who are smart about finances, doing that.    Maybe I should.
I don't know.  It's not like I'm rich, but I have to decide of I'm becoming
irrationally fearful.

You have given me a lot about which to think. But,  I see other smart people
who think I'm already worrying too much, and I still think there is a chance
that our country has a possibilty at least of limping along without terrible
consequences.

Also, this city has been my home for a long time.  Now, I'm ready to go ,
psychologically, anyway.  But, I don't think I want to run away in fear.  I
could move to the middle of nowhere, and hide.  Tha'ts what I would be doing
if I left just for this reason.  It's not like I have a long established
homestead community like you and many others on the list.  To be honest, if
things do become terribly bad, I'd just as soon stand with people I know than
hide with people I don't. ...bobford