homestead - Re: [Homestead] Wrong admission

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Wrong admission
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 20:12:50 -0500

> Forget things like taxes. My house is paid for, as is my car and
> everything else I own. Still, if I need food or medicine, services,
> petro; I will see the prices, based on currency inflation , go up. At the
> same time , the value of my house and all of my assets are falling.

My trailer is paid for as is the pickup and all the tools. I do not have
any credit cards nor do I have any revolving debt. I do have some stocks
that I hope are in solid companies but who is to say what is solid.

I would like to turn the stocks into something more substantial such as a
shop. That process was started this summer when I bought a tractor. Maybe
next summer will be a shop and a couple more tools.

Some assets are declining. The pickup is a used vehicle but it will run for
at least another 50,000 miles if not a lot more so who cares what it is
worth to someone else. Only those who trade in every chance they get care.
My trailer is worth less each year but again who cares, it still works as a
decent home and I do not plan to sell it or trade it in.

My tools are not declining in value. They still work as well as needed. I
don't care how much a good 7/16 flare nut wrench falls to, I still need it
to bleed the brakes. Besides it and several others have helped me earn a
little money now and again.

If I had a piece of land paid for it would be the same. I could live on the
land, grow a garden, set up a shop, and live nicely but simply on my SSI.

It is those who are mortgaged deeply, leased an SUV, have huge credit card
debt, and expect an ever increasing standard of living that have the most to
worry about declining values.

Don Bowen KI6DIU