homestead - Re: [Homestead] Wrong admission

  • From: Akka Homestead <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Wrong admission
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 07:13:44 -0700 (PDT)

I live on the same planet as you, Lynn.
Here, I have been struggling for years to pay off debt.  I am almost there-I
can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  If I were still working, I'd be
even closer to the end of it.  I don't want more debt.  I don't want more
credit.  I know, that I am one of those people who would have to pay it off
on the forever timescale.  I just want to live within my means, and that
means cash purchases, used cars, etc.

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
> Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:
>
>> And any of the more common clay who work two jobs to pay mortgage and
>> credit
>> card debt are only miniature versions of the above,  To the exent they
>> subscribed to the debt/consumerist mentality, they will suffer in
>> proportion.
>>
> Listening to Bernanke and the president confirms that I live in a
> different world than them. They both pointed out that one of the biggest
>   reasons to support the bailout is so the banks will have money to
> lend, so everyone can get credit again so they can buy houses and cars
> and college educations for their children. Like that's a Good Thing?
> Wasn't too much credit (to people who couldn't repay) the problem?
>
> Lynn Wigglesworth

>From lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com Thu Sep 25 10:37:48 2008
> Here, I have been struggling for years to pay off debt. I am almost
> there-I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. If I were still
> working, I'd be even closer to the end of it. I don't want more debt. I
> don't want more credit. I know, that I am one of those people who would
> have to pay it off on the forever timescale. I just want to live within my
> means, and that means cash purchases, used cars, etc.

I struggle with it. When I divorced, I had to buy out my ex's share of
the farm (the new inflated value, double what we paid for it). I had to
refinance and take out a big mortgage. At the rate I'm going, it won't
be paid off until I'm 80. I'm still looking into leasing the gas rights
to my property. If it works out, I could get enough to pay off my
mortgage. If they actually drill, I'd be embarrassingly rich (well, by
MY standards, anyway). I could do all those philanthropic things I
always said "If I had money, I'd..." (mostly environmental or having to
do with getting young wannabe farmers onto farms).

Lynn Wigglesworth