homestead - Re: [Homestead] Community, the importance of

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Community, the importance of
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:12:05 -0500

I wonder if most of you do have a close community or are you islands unto yourselves?

In our area most people live on large ranches and their only community is their church. We are trying to build community and just started a local group called Healthy Harvest to focus on food issues.

We held our first meeting a couple of weeks ago and discussed rising food costs, food scares, loss of the old timer's knowlege of farming and storing food, environmental impact, nutrition for the elderly and school children. We also spoke of seed saving and sharing, growing organic, cooking healthy, community gardening, finding local sources for food, raising food awareness, etc. Eleven people showed up and the local newspaper covered it. We expect more this month.

A historic ditch irrigated 800 acres of local river bottom croplands here from 1860-1960. We know these former residents had to provide food for the community because there were no grocery stores in those days. The grain mill was across the street from us. Food is a subject that cuts across all party lines, and pride in the pioneer ancestors who farmed this area runs deep around here. If it was once accomplished, it can be again.

--Sage
Way Out in Texas