homestead - Re: [Homestead] The answer, my friend, may not be blowing in the wind.

  • From: tom <tom AT honeychrome.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The answer, my friend, may not be blowing in the wind.
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 19:42:56 -0400

Ah, the point is not about the problem but about how people deal with it... and introducing ideas that might deflate bubblicious notions of science-fiction salvation is not an ideal way to 'deal with it....' Yeah, OK, some nerdy genius at MIT or somewhere may think up a way to thwart the laws of thermodynamics (heck, Gallileo and others throughout history have thwarted established 'laws' of understanding before) and all will be saved, but I'm not going to assume it is some kind of inevitability. Heck, I'd love things to go on as they are and keep getting bigger, better, bolder... I personally love internal combustion and have spent way too much time learning about, tinkering with and souping up fossil-fuel based engines. Not to mention my investment in information technology. I love my car, my motorcycle, my power tools, my computer and all the other gadget-crap in my life! Do I want that 'investment' to evaporate? No, but I do see that it likely will. Do I want to make the same sort of 'mistake' (not entirely a mistake as I did get a good deal of satisfaction from and have a good deal of fun working on various vehicles and other engines as well as figuring out computers, etc.) again as far as devoting my time and energy (and seeing my tax dollars go) to largely dead-end energy fantasies? I don't. I'll now put my efforts into known sustainable efforts like planting trees, etc. They've been providing energy, fiber and food for millions of years. Of course planting trees isn't the catch-all solution to every energy problem, but it does have a better success rate than most of the alternatives. And I'll put equal effort into building bonds with my neighbors and creating a real community of mutual reliance. So that MIT nerd saves 'life as we know it' and comes up with unlimited energy to fuel perpetual and unlimited economic expansion and growth- fantastic! I'll still be richer for the investments I've made in natural and social capital.

Tom