homestead - Re: [Homestead] The answer, my friend, may not be blowing in the wind.

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The answer, my friend, may not be blowing in the wind.
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 19:14:21 -0500

> Yeah, OK, some nerdy genius at MIT or somewhere may think up
> a way to thwart the laws of thermodynamics (heck, Gallileo and others
> throughout history have thwarted established 'laws' of understanding
> before)

That was because they had an imperfect understanding of the natural laws in
question. We have a much better understanding of what are called "first
principles." Sure things like nanotechnology appear to break those laws but
in reality they provide new insights and a better understanding.

We have spent the last 300 years of ever more dense energy supplies coming
up with many new and useful goodies and a much better understanding of the
world around us. But before that we spent the previous 8000 years with
little change. We did not expect some miraculous new invention to come
along and rescue us and make things better. An Roman farmer of 1000 years
ago did not differ all that much from an Egyptian farmer of 4000 years ago.

When that cheap energy runs out, and it will, the age of ever more new and
miraculous things will wind down.

Don Bowen KI6DIU