homestead - Re: [Homestead] I need a truck : )

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] I need a truck : )
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 18:56:43 -0500

> I am leaning towards a Dodge 2500 or Ford F250, diesel, so we can run
> biodiesel through it. 4WD. I'd like to avoid high mileage. I'd like
> to spend under $8,500. Suggestions (other than praying to the Truck
> Gods?)

Inless you need the additional power or towing capacity, the smaller the
cheaper it will be to but and run. Your stock trailer, how big is it and
how many animals do you expect to carry. A 1500 with a small V8 will have a
7500# towing capacity and will get better mileage. You may not get to the
top of the hill as fast as the other guy but you will get there and pass a
few gas stations along the way.

Right now lease returns are going cheap. Ford, GM, and Chrysler are looking
to either get out of leasing or severely cut back as they are having
problems auctioning off the returned pickups. Another option is to go to an
auction. I saw several decent Ford Diesels go for under $8500 at an auction
I went to this last spring.

I would not count on biodiesel. Used fryer oil is now going for a premium
so that avenue is shut off. Stations around the country are selling
biodiesel but it will become more expensive. We are the only country that
uses more gasoline than Diesel so you will be competing with the rest of the
world.

The Dodge Diesel will get better economy than the Ford because it is a
smaller engine, 360 vs 473.

Don Bowen KI6DIU